Thursday 23 December 2010

the tall and short of it


I have one sibling.
The sister.
The sister is 4.5 years younger than me.
The sister also towers over me by 3 inches at 5'7".
The sister and I are often asked if we are twins (this never fails to puzzle me deeply, we look nothing alike).
When we reply in the negative, the public, dissatisfied, then inquire if the sister is older than me.
Infallible logic but we have encountered it countless times.

Much the same thing happened yesterday.
Only nothing was asked, but assumed.
Whole new angle.

The sister was congratulated for completing MBA.
When the bungle was cleared, I was asked in wonder how the sister hit such a growth spurt and I am obviously stunted (not exactly in those words).
'God's will,' I usually reply, an answer which is a huge hit with older people (read uncles who are no relation).
But this time, I merely shrugged, weary of the whole act.

Image courtesy: a forward - how to kill time at work.

4 comments:

  1. Oh the same thing happens with.
    Except I'm THE SISTER

    ReplyDelete
  2. i feel for your sister ;)
    thanks for popping by :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. "I was asked in wonder how the sister hit such a growth spurt and I am obviously stunted (not exactly in those words)"

    It's still rude all the same. Heavens. But I can totally relate. As karman commented above, I am THE SISTER, i.e. the taller younger sister... which is bizarre considering that I'm only 5'4". I have a natural athletic build and people always assume that I'm in sports and older than my sister who is 5'1" with a frail frame.

    I loved the motorcycle entry. Custom bikes and helmets are almost always a visual treat! Thanks for sharing!... and for dropping by my blog during the FTLOB Weekend Wander. I'm here to return the comment love... and to look around and admire all of the gorgeous scenery :) (You're an excellent photographer, by the way! Keep up the awesome work!!)

    Have a great week!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks for the awesome comment :)

    ReplyDelete

Exercise your freedom of speech!
Go on. You know you want to.